Thursday, March 31, 2016

Slickwraps Skin Review

DISCLAIMER: I am in no way affiliated with Slickwraps, nor was I reimbursed for my purchase. This is a fair, honest, and unbiased review.

Several weeks ago I started looking into the idea of buying a skin for my beloved N5X. I debated between Slickwraps or dbrand until this post http://ift.tt/1VWaUEw made me decide to pull the trigger on Slickwraps. Their XDA promo skins (I ordered "XDA design 3") are priced nicely at $9.95, and including shipping I spent $12.85 - well below dbrand prices.

First impressions and unboxing: The package arrived 2 days after processing, in a thin cardboard sleeve. The skin itself feels somewhat like a thick vinyl. Product packaging was nice, with a microfiber cloth and several warnings of "STOP" with a notice to visit their website first for proper installation instructions. As there is not yet a video up for the 5X, I watched one for the N5, which should be the closest.

Installation: I decided on lining the skin up with the camera and LED/laser focus. There are also pieces that go on the camera ring and fingerprint sensor, which require some finesse to align properly with the overall pattern. I initially misaligned the back half a mm or so, but the adhesive was forgiving and I quickly corrected it. The corners were a bit strange at first, but once I started to smooth the edges out they worked themselves out. The skin is cut perfectly for the profile of this phone. Honestly this was easier than installing a tempered glass screen protector. There is even a tiny notch that goes around the headphone jack.

Reactions: overall I am very pleased with the skin. I put my Nillkin Nature TPU case over it, which helps the corners stay in place very nicely. Even though the TPU is smoke gray, the skin is clearly visible. My only complaint is that the fingerprint sensor does not work with its piece covering it, so I have removed it for the time being. I would have given it a 8.5/10, if only for the fingerprint sensor, but the quality, precision, and obvious concern for satisfaction bump it up to a 9/10 for me.

Apologies for no pictures, I did not have another device handy at the time and was too excited about putting it on :good:


via xda-developers http://ift.tt/1PIgvGY

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment