Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Quick Charge 1.0-2.0-3.0/Adaptive Fast Charging/Type-C specification?

I just ordered 2 Note 7s (one for my wife, one for me). I figure it would be a good time to stock on up some Type C wires. Well 5 hours of research later i'm about to go back to a beeper and AA batteries. Let me just lay explain how I understand everything so far, Quick Charge 1.0-2.0-3.0/Adaptive Fast Charging are different competing "formats" in fast charge tech, Adaptive Fast Charging being a Samsung only thing, Quick Charge being a Qualcomm thing. Both of these "formats" are not USB Type C certified. Type C on it's own will fast charge as part of the spec. Quick Charge 3.0 does other bad things like take over data pins to give even more juice to the device, more so than Type C can give. Also both Quick Charge 1.0-2.0-3.0/Adaptive Fast Charging are always "hot" where if you have a in spec Type C charger it does not flow power till it sees a device is plugged in? Recently an issue popped up that "smart" Type C cables were trickling in spec Type C chargers to flow juice by pretending it was a device, this caused issues where it could flow fast charge (as in the built in to Type C spec fast charge) into a non fast charge device. This is really only an issue since Type C cables (as in Type C on both ends) because you need a chip in the wire to control how power works since you could plug both ends into wallworts for example, so in theory, no dumb Type C to Typc C wire should exist, right? Do I have all this right so far?


Let's back track to my Note 7s. I'm "safe" if I use the OEM charger and wire (safe in "" because it's always hot thanks to Adaptive Fast Charging). So being the Note 7 is kinda a bridge device between micro USB and type C the only cable it should ever get is a USB A to Typc C, right? It would be unsafe to plug in a Typc C charger and use a Type C (both ends) wire, right? Now also, I notice other strange things with this entire thing. I bought a wireless quick charger off amazon, offbrand but well reviewed. It want's Quick Charge 2.0 power. So you look at Anker and it's PowerIQ line. It's trying to be a jack of all trades, I don't see to much info on them. Would they be safe to use to charge my phones?


Is all this confusion just part of a new plug roll out? In 5 years time will I be able to just buy wires without worrying like I used to with micro USB?


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2bSHHMq
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment