Sunday, July 31, 2016

Will Marshmallow lock the bootloader on my T-Mobile S5?

Sorry if these are dumb questions... I have searched unsuccessfully for answers here and I am new to the forums and to Android... not sure where to ask this...

I just bought a new (unsold stock) T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900T) phone and activated it on the T-Mobile network. The phone came with G900TUVU1ANE6 (4.4.2) from the factory. After only a few hours of operation T-Mobile has pushed an unnamed update to the phone which I assume is G900TUVU1GPE1 (6.0.1) Marshmallow. I have postponed installation of the update but don't know how long I can postpone it or if I can prevent its installation.

Will installing Marshmallow cause my S5's bootloader to become locked? I ask because I found this on Wikipedia (link not allowed) "As of Marshmallow, the Android Compatibility Definition Document contains new security mandates for devices, dictating that those that are capable of accessing encrypted data without affecting performance must enable Secure boot and device encryption by default".

Or is my G900T's bootloader already locked? I ask because I found this at root my galaxy dot net (link not allowed) "If your device's bootloader is locked then you will get the update via OTA. [...] If your device is rooted or bootloader is unlocked then you have to manually Flash / Install Official Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow Firmware On T-Mobile Galaxy S5 using Odin Flash tool".

The second question worries me more. I bought a T-Mobile S5 because so many sources claim the G900T bootloaders are unlocked. Now I'm unsure. Is there an easy way to determine if my bootloader is locked or unlocked? (I have Heimdall available on a Linux laptop but no windows machine).

I hope to install CM10 or CM13 on my S5. Thanks in advance for any definite information or guidance anyone can provide.


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/2ak6cxV
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment