Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Confused on USB-C formats for use with OP3

Hi, I'm new here and my first post on XDA forum, please excuse for any incorrect terms. I received my OP3 last week and looking for to buy more USB type C cables and chargers to use at home and in the office.
There are several post regarding USB type C even from Google tech guy Benson Leung, but after reading them, I was still unclear. As my understanding OP3 uses DASH which is charging at 4A, thus drawing a max of 4A from the cable and charger. The available type C chargers and cables (type A to type C) on mainstream are 2.4-3A which are used by majority of the devices on the market. So in theory my OP3 can use the mainstream chargers and cables, but take longer to charge. However there is a warning: "Only use cables following the specification otherwise you can risk damage to your USB hub, USB ports on PC, or AC Charger if the phone is requesting to charge at a current of 3A and the charger cannot support it!" (in our case it would be 4A)

The easy option is to buy the DASH charger and cable from OP at 4A, but how compactible will it be for other devices. Will it also work on the mainstream devices, or will it cause damage due to the larger output? TBH I'm not to bothered with the charging times, I'm more interested in the compatibility/future proof of the accessories.
Thanks in advance for the replies!


from xda-developers http://ift.tt/291PZLh
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment