Saturday, April 30, 2016

Spontaneous mobile device failures

This is a really general hardware (i think) problem. I don't have any diagnostics unfortunately as I have no idea how to debug or analyse a device that won't even turn on. All i'm really asking for are logical guesses based off the information I know.

I've had 2 mobile devices fail on me for seemingly no reason. Not at the same time, but within months of each other. One is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and the other is a HTC One X. I've had them for at least 2 years, warranty expired.

In the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 case, I left it uncharged for about 2 weeks. It wouldn't charge when plugging it into a wall. I managed to briefly revive the machine by plugging it into a computer USB, but it randomly shut off again sometime later and I haven't been able to revive it since. I know that computer USB provides lower power amplitude than a wall charger and that's where i got the notion that maybe it's a battery problem. I've used 3rd party/mixed manufacturer charging cables on both devices which probably could've damaged their batteries but idk for sure.

The HTC One X case is really weird. After I took it off charge (it was full battery) it was working fine. I put it in my pocket and when I took it out about a half hour later I had this recurrence of an issue I have sometimes with this device where the touchscreen just doesn't work and I have to restart or wait it out. I didn't wait for the reboot process to complete so I just put it back in my pocket. Another 15 minutes later I took it out and it was just sort of dead. No charging lights when plugged in, no response from power button or power+volume buttons, but strangely the CPU still felt warm for a few hours as if it was still running somehow. When I plug it into a computer for a while it also appears to heat up.

I've tried leaving both of these devices on charge for many days with no success.

I'm going to try replacing the batteries on the HTC One X and hopefully I get something but seriously idk what's happening. Can anyone think of any other reasons why these devices could fail so randomly? I don't like changing phones all the time like other people and frankly I prefer having my old HTC One X than my current SGS3 even if it's less powerful.


via xda-developers http://ift.tt/1SQU33p

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment