Thursday, December 31, 2015

Device Encryption Question/Issue with Unlocking

I have had some issues with my phone since unlocking with sunshine. See separate thread http://ift.tt/1IHmCiu for description. I have a theory about this now and would like some opinions from folks with more experience.

I used device encryption on my Turbo before the OTA update to Lollipop. After encrypting the phone I would be prompted to enter my PIN to decrypt the data partition before the phone would boot, and then I'd have to enter the PIN again after boot to unlock it. After the OTA I no longer had to enter my PIN when booting the phone, but I would still have to enter it after boot to unlock. After the OTA the phone still reported that it was encrypted in the system security settings even though it didn't need a PIN to decrypt at boot time. That makes sense from what little I know because encrypting the device re-writes the data partition, and the OTA didn't touch the data partition and could not un-encrypt it. I was baffled by this, but I didn't want to factory reset and wipe the data partition to let me re-encrypt the phone.

So after the OTA, the data partition of my phone was still encrypted, but magically the phone was able to decrypt data and boot without my PIN. I don't know why. But one clue is that after unlocking and installing TWRP I looked at TWRP log and saw a log message saying something about decrypting with default PIN. Anyway, I never wiped data, but my phone somehow manages to boot. Re-flashing system and recovery caused problems at first, but now it seems to be back to the way it was. I haven't flashed a new ROM yet, but I expect that when I do I'll have to wipe data and that will get everything back to normal.

My question is has anyone else experimented with device encryption and is this behavior expected?

Thanks.


via xda-developers http://ift.tt/1JN2y9w

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment