Thursday, December 31, 2015

Redmi Note 2 vs Moto G 2015 Comparison

This is more of a review/comparison thread, as I am switching from RN2 to the Moto G. I gave RN2 a genuine try, used it for 3 months, tried stock ROM, Xiaomi.eu ROM, all Custom Roms but the battery was just bad and I got tired of waiting for kernel sources to assist development. This is not a troll thread, its a really genuine and honest review of the phone and why I switched to Moto G and how does it compare. I am using the Moto G 2015 16GB / 2GB RAM model - XT1550 so it is also dual SIM with SD slot like the RN2.

RN2
Good
- Cameras are excellent, better than Moto G both front and back

- Screen is beautiful and crisp, smooth to touch too it really felt premium.

- Big device but it fit in my hand nicely, was thin and well made, beautiful.

Bad
- Battery life is terrible, both on stock MIUI and on custom ROMs the best I got was about 1 day use and 2.5-3 hours SOT. And typical was about 2 hour SOT in 12 hours use. I am not heavy user but the screen/CPU is huge drain on battery nothing made it better.

- Heats up when gaming (e.g. Boom Beach for 15+ mins) or using GPS navigation in the car. Both use cases can bring battery from 100% to 0% in less than 4 hours. Crazy.

- Kernel sources no where to be found

Moto G
Good
- I find the smaller size to my liking, it fits in my hand nicely and the rubber back gives good grip, no case needed

- Battery is out of this world. I am getting 5 hours SOT over 24 hours use without even trying, if i try to be frugal will push it past 6 hours SOT and on days I don't use phone much I end day with 85% battery left. This is on Lollipop 5.1.1. When I install Marshmallow I expect this to go up even more! I am using all the same apps as the RN2 here. Same number of accounts and everything.

- Kernel sources and healthy dev community means I already have Marshmallow and even stock Android M is rolling out this week or next.

Bad
- Moto G's 720p panel feels like a downgrade, looks terrible compared to RN2 - this made me regret this decision the most but then the battery life reminded me it was still a good decision.

- Not good build quality compared to RN2 definitely feels worse.


Conclusion
- Xiaomi makes excellent phones but Mediatek X10 chip is very power hungry, Idle times were good but when in use battery dropped like a pack of cards. Xiaomi/Mediatek do not release kernel sources either.

- I will NEVER buy a Mediatek chipset phone again and will also avoid Xiaomi until they start releasing their kernel sources on day 1. Look at OnePlus, also a Chinese company but they release their sources immediately.

- I really wanted to like this phone and I did enjoy it but the battery life really killed it for me.

- Moto G is not my dream phone either but at least I no longer worry about battery life and it does not heat up like the RN2 when gaming. I will use it till I find something better. Maybe OnePlus 2 Mini that's coming next year.

Thanks for reading.

:laugh::good:


via xda-developers http://ift.tt/1VsXcqv

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment